Who is Value Capture and how can we help you?
Leader Led. Safety Driven. Principles Based.
Value Capture supports leaders who seek to dramatically improve the performance of their healthcare organization.
Who is Value Capture?
Trusted advisory group founded in 2005.
Our True North is to the best trusted advisory firm in the world — supporting and developing health & human service system leaders who are driving toward this vision, by fully living and practicing the principles and systems that we teach.
The Founding of Value Capture
In 2005, Value Capture was founded with Paul H. O’Neill, Sr., former Alcoa CEO and US Treasury Secretary, whose innovative thinking made Alcoa the safest workplace in the world. As a consequence of this achievement, O’Neill realized another important outcome – an increase in the company’s efficiency and profitability.
Building upon the pioneering work of a community collaborative in Pittsburgh to prove that zero harm and perfect clinical outcomes were possible, Paul O’Neill, Jr. had a vision that this work could be accelerated and expanded around the country through partnerships with healthcare CEOs and their teams; they could use the same principles to run their entire organizations, not just succeed in individual projects.
Prior efforts had produced strong evidence that it is possible to not only eliminate harm and quality defects, but make work easier and reduce the cost. Those efforts also revealed, however, that absent ongoing and direct involvement, even supportive leaders were less likely to lead successful transformation efforts.
Founding members recruited by O’Neill, Jr. to help found Value Capture included Paul O’Neill, Sr. as non-Executive Chairman, whose principle-driven leadership inspired the firm; he served Value Capture until he passed in April 2020. Lisa Beckwith, Leslie Corak, Geoff Webster, and Kenneth Segel also were founding members and remain with the firm to this day.
For over a decade, O’Neill’s passion for reducing healthcare costs and improving healthcare safety has been channeled into the work at Value Capture, where the methodology has been honed.
Today, the distinguished team of advisors and thought leaders at Value Capture seeks to help you and your organization achieve habitual excellence via one unifying focus, one value-based structure, and one performance system. In other words, we help you capture dramatically more value through achieving perfect care and perfect safety for patients and staff.
We developed the approach with world leaders in quality, safety, and profitability, inside and outside healthcare. Starting with some of the earliest proofs that perfect safety and financial gain go hand-in-hand in American hospitals, Value Capture has helped CEOs from community hospitals to the nation’s largest academic medical centers to integrated delivery systems tailor the strategy to their unique circumstances to produce hardwired results.
Our principle-based methods are helping healthcare organizations across the country capture and sustain astonishing increases in safety, quality, efficiency, and satisfaction, all while lowering costs.
Value Capture is proud to be recognized for creating profound, positive, and sustainable changes in healthcare.
- The book Beyond Heroes: A Lean Management System for Healthcare details the breakthrough business performance system developed by ThedaCare, Inc. health system. We have been selected by Catalysis to help other organizations learn this powerful lean daily management system. Read more about our partnership with Catalysis.
- O’Neill’s legendary transformation of Alcoa using Lean principles and a focus on safety is featured in Charles Duhigg’s New York Times bestseller, The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business.
- O’Neill has been recognized with the President’s Award by the National Safety Council and given OSHA’s highest award in recognition of his efforts on behalf of the nation’s workers.
- Our proven approach has been touted on CNBC, CNN and LeanBlog.org.
- Our experts have advised the prestigious Institute of Medicine.
- Our methods have been featured in the book, The Nun and the Bureaucrat: How They Found an Unlikely Cure for America’s Sick Hospitals.
- Our experts have been quoted in Prevention Strategist, by the Institute of Medicine and by the American Society of Safety Engineers.