Scroll down for a transcript, how to subscribe, and more
Welcome to Episode #33 of Habitual Excellence, presented by Value Capture.
We have two guests today, from Mount Sinai Morningside, a hospital in New York City. They are Lucy Xenophon, MD, MPH, the Chief Transformation Officer for the hospital, and Arthur Gianelli, MBA, MPH, the Chief Transformation Officer for the Mount Sinai system and he is also hospital president of Mount Sinai Morningside.
Host Mark Graban, Lucy, and Art talk about their Lean journey, which started about six years ago at Mount Sinai Morningside. They view Lean as not only continuous improvement, but also a cultural transformation and a management system. Lucy and Art talk about how their Lean management practices, like huddles, served as a foundation that helped them deal with Covid pandemic. They used an iterative approach to meeting new needs, such as figuring out how staff could visually monitor patients without being in the room -- a story that includes drilling holes in walls for cables, Nest cameras, iPads, and more.
They both talk about how their leadership roles changed during the pandemic and how they struck a balance between using formal Kaizen events, when needed, and staff knowing how to do smaller improvements without events.
We also talk about how they ramped up for the Covid vaccinations, walking the "gemba" (workplace) to identify stakeholders and to engage them in figuring out what to do. They used "dress rehearsals" that identified improvements before patients even arrived. Because they had Lean foundations of daily management and standardized work, staff were very equipped to set up and improve this new process with new requirements.
Lucy and Art also talk about how they've shared what they've done and learned on social media, including a series of "Lean Hacks" on LinkedIn, podcasts, and other platforms. See links to these after the video and audio links below.
- “COVID is Invisible, but Your Patients Shouldn’t Be: Creating Lines of Sight in a Critical Care Surge” COVID-19 Lean Hospital Hack #1
- PPE on the Go: Enhanced Readiness for Rapid Response” COVID Lean Hospital Hack #2
- “Pandemic Response Under Pressure: Creating Negative Pressure Rooms Without Overhauling Your HVAC System” COVID Lean Hospital Hack #3
- “In the Zone: ‘Clean and Contaminated’ Demarcation to Improve Staff Flow and Conserve PPE” COVID Lean Hospital Hack #4
- Podcast, The Lens, COVID-19 Episode #2 – Learnings from a New York City Hospital – Part 1
- COVID-19 Learnings from a New York City Hospital - Part 2
To make sure you don't miss an episode, be sure to subscribe today! Please rate and review the podcast.
Written by Mark Graban
Mark Graban is a Senior Advisor for Value Capture and has served healthcare clients for over 15 years. Mark is internationally recognized as a leading author and speaker on Lean healthcare.