Scroll down for a transcript, how to subscribe, and more
Welcome to Episode #37 of Habitual Excellence, presented by Value Capture.
Our guest is David B. Mayer, MD, the Chief Executive Officer of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation and Executive Director of the MedStar Institute for Quality and Safety.
Dr. Mayer attended the University of Illinois at Chicago for both his undergraduate and medical degrees. He completed his internship and residency at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, followed by a fellowship in cardiac anesthesia. Additionally, he co-produced the patient safety educational film series titled “The Faces of Medical Error…From Tears to Transparency,” which won numerous awards including the prestigious Aegis Film Society Top Short Documentary Award.
In today's episode, host Mark Graban asks David about topics including:
- How did you take such an interest in healthcare quality and safety?
- What happened when you witnessed a surgeon lie to a patient about an error?
- What is the Seven Pillars Program?
- What is the CANDOR program?
- Is "zero harm" possible? How do you engage with people about that?
- What are your hopes for the Biden administration approach on patient safety?
- What is your "moon shot" effort? See video
- What do you remember about bringing Paul O’Neill in to speak at MedStar?
- Should there be a national patient safety authority?
Value Capture is proud to be an official partner of the Patient Safety Movement Foundation.
Podcast Main Page:
Click to visit the main Habitual Excellence podcast page.
To make sure you don't miss an episode, be sure to subscribe today! Please rate and review the podcast.
Written by Mark Graban
Mark Graban has served healthcare clients since 2005. Mark is internationally recognized as a leading author and speaker on Lean healthcare. His upcoming book is "The Mistakes That Make Us: Cultivating a Culture of Learning and Innovation."
Submit a comment